Monday, February 2, 2009

I Am So Happy To Be Home!

Hello Friends and Family. I 'm back!! Many of you know that I had back surgery in the fall, actually on Oct. 6th. After surgery, I was not breathing well, and I was placed in ICU. However, that wasn't my only problem. My kidneys and bowels were not working either. I was still getting pain medication that was not being filtered out of my body, and even the anesthesia was not leaving my body, and then with the breathing problem I developed carbon monoxide poisoning. I was told that on day 10 that I was due to go on dialysis, but thank God my kidney function rose by 1 point, and one of my 7 doctors said they would hold off on the dialysis for another day, and the next day my kidney function was up another point! After 12 days, I was moved to a rehab center.

This will sound strange, but I have no memory of any of this happening! I remember speaking with my doctors before my surgery, and I don't remember another day until Thanksgiving. Well, actually I thought I went home for a few hours for Thanksgiving, but then later I found out that I didn't, and then I remembered that I didn't. That is as far back as I can remember! My doctors said it was because of the toxins in my body.

I remember at the rehab that I worked on cognitive work sheets every day to bring back my skills. I couldn't add or spell or any thing when I first started to work with the Speech therapist.

I worked really hard there with my Physical therapist, and my Occupational therapist also, and learning to walk on a walker with my Physical therapist. I am still on the walker, and I am so happy about that! Some of you may not know that I was in a wheel chair before this due to the muscle atrophy and scar tissue, and compressed nerves in my spine. My back surgeon released the compressed nerves, added some metal rods to stabilize my spine and replaced some broken bone fusions in my spine with metal spacers. I had what the medical profession refers to as the 360, meaning that I had one surgeon who did surgery on my tummy to put in the spacers, and then I had my spinal doctor who did surgery on my back to repair the other problems.

I have been home about a week or 10 days, and I am slowing returning to normal here. I have some art to do, and I wanted to get this update out to you. I hope to upload some new art in a day or two.

When I was in the rehab, I met many other seniors there, and we all became friends, encouraging each other and laughing together, and even doing activities together. I miss that enviroment so much that I have decided to move to a senior community. I am very happy about this decision, and I have been online looking at various places this past week. I may have found a place nearby, and I am going to go over there tomorrow. I hope we are a match! I will let you know when I know.

Well, I am going to post and go off to bed. Not that I will fall asleep yet ( I am such a night owl, trying to reform some), I will dim the lights, and turn on the TV and see if I can drift off before 4 in the morning! Goodnight, sleep tight!


hunnybunny said...

Oh my that's a lot. I am so glad you feel well now, and can't wait to see your new art. I hope you find a senior community that is a good match, my grandmother LOVES hers.

Diane said...

Welcome back, Mary. I started following your blog shortly after your last post & I was becoming VERY concerned about you. I am so glad things are returning to normal for you. Sounds like a horrid experience. I know we are all looking forward to seeing some new art from you when you're feeling up to it. Hugs, Diane

Sherry said...

I have been wondering where you were! WOW! I'm glad you're home and hope your progress continues.
~ Sherry